A migrant boat sank off Mauritania’s coast earlier this week, leaving at least 49 people dead and around 100 missing, news agency AFP reported.
"One of our patrols was able to rescue 17 (people). So far, 49 bodies have been recovered and buried, and the search is continuing," a senior coastguard official was quoted as saying by the news agency AFP. Survivors reported that the vessel had about 160 people on board, including nationals from Senegal and Gambia. The local gendarmerie confirmed the death toll.
The accident took place late Tuesday night, when migrants on board spotted the lights of a town about 80 kilometres (50 miles) north of Nouakchott and shifted to one side of the vessel, causing it to overturn, a coastguard official told AFP.
"One of our patrols was able to rescue 17 (people). So far, 49 bodies have been recovered and buried, and the search is continuing," a senior coastguard official was quoted as saying by the news agency AFP. Survivors reported that the vessel had about 160 people on board, including nationals from Senegal and Gambia. The local gendarmerie confirmed the death toll.
The accident took place late Tuesday night, when migrants on board spotted the lights of a town about 80 kilometres (50 miles) north of Nouakchott and shifted to one side of the vessel, causing it to overturn, a coastguard official told AFP.
You may also like
'Trapped in burning building': Indonesia protests turn violent; 3 killed in blaze during stir
Merz, Macron call for secondary sanctions on Russia 'supporters'
Vishwambhara OTT release: Where to watch Chiranjeevi, Trisha Krishnan's Telugu film after theatrical run
NDMC launches composting site at INA-Delhi Haat, declares RK Puram society an 'Anupam Colony'
Andhra Pradesh CM Naidu hints at bullet train link for Hyderabad, Amaravati, Chennai and Bengaluru